Get More Sleep With These TV, Phone & Tablet Tips - Merit Educational Consultants

Get More Sleep With These TV, Phone & Tablet Tips

Experts have been recommending that we turn off our TVs, computers, and mobile phones hours before bedtime to help us fall asleep faster.  Apparently the blue light emitting from our electronic screens suppresses our melatonin (a hormone that helps regulate sleep and wake cycles), which increases our alertness, and keeps us from getting sleepy. 

But seriously, who really does that? I check emails and text messages after I turn off the TV, and then I peruse Facebook to see what my friends are up to until I fall asleep. 

So if turning off these devices is not happening for you, I found a few solutions that can help you get to sleep while having your phones and tablets by your side.

1. Wear amber-colored glasses a few hours before bedtime.  They protect your eyes from the blue-wavelength light.  According to Reuters [source], a Swiss study found that  study participants who wore the glasses before bedtime were relaxed and sleepy at bedtime.
  2. Use General Electric’s PM Bulbs that mimic natural candlelight without disrupting circadian rhythm. They also sell AM Bulbs to promote alertness in the morning.
  3. Place light-filters on flashlights and other lights in your house. Check out LowBlueLights.
  4. Use the Night Shift feature on iPhones. Apple uses your location to determine when to automatically shift from the blue to a warmer amber tone. They’re claiming that Apple has improved the sleep of millions of people each year.  On Android devices, check out the Twilight app, which does the same thing.  It’s free!

Sounds like it’s time to change up our lighting systems to protect our eyes and improve our sleep. Let me know how this works for you!