Merit Services
Overview
Online Consultation
> See a Sample
College Advisory
Education Advisory
Organizational Consultants

See a Sample

Whether you have one simple question, need guidance through the entire college admissions process, or want support in doing a project, Merit College Advisors are available to help.

Online Consultation is Easy to Use
1)
After you become a Member, you'll be prompted to enter in your credit card information for billing. We'll check your information to make sure your card is valid.
2)
Upon approval, you can use your new membership to log in to your account and begin your Online Consultation session.
3)
Enter and submit your question.
4)
Our College Advisors will answer your questions within two business days. Your sessions will be tallied up in 15-minute increments, and your credit card will be billed at the end of the month. You can always check your running tally in your Merit Online Account. If a session requires extensive research, we'll inform you and get your approval before we begin.

Take a look ...

Client Question
My daughter is a junior at Main High School in Anytown, CA. She has always been a good student - she usually gets A’s and B’s. But last year, she started hanging out with kids that don’t care about grades and her grades have dropped to C’s and D’s. Has she ruined her chances to get into a 4-year college?

Jody
Response to Client
Dear Jody,

Your daughter has many options available to her at this time. When you say that she has received A’s and B’s, I’m assuming that her grades started to fall in 11th grade. Do you have your daughter’s GPA? If you don’t, you can get it from her high school counselor. Typically, colleges look at a student’s grades in the 10th, 11th, and 12th grades when they calculate the GPA (grade point average). Her 11th grade GPA will be the most important to college admissions officers so now is the time to buckle down and pull up her GPA. If she needs a tutor, hire one to help her with concepts and to prepare for final exams.

College admissions officers also consider her SAT or ACT scores. Did she take the PSAT in October? If she did, her PSAT scores will give you her general range. She will need to take the SAT I or ACT with Writing in May or June of her junior year. Some colleges also require the SAT II Subject Tests, which she can take in May or June. If she is a strong test taker, these scores can offset a lower GPA. You can get an ACT or SAT practice workbook for her so she can start preparing for these tests, or you can sign up for a SAT or ACT workshop.

The good news is that she still has time during her junior year to pull up her grades and to prepare for the SATs/ACTs. If you would like to really improve her chances of getting into a 4-year college, she might consider doing a project. A project consists of taking an original idea that she is passionate about and starting a non-profit organization to support the idea. If you would like more information about starting a project, we can continue this discussion, or you can check out Beat the College Admissions Game: Do a Project!

I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions about how to motivate her to get good grades, recommendations on SAT/ACT prep, or how to start a project, just ask another question!

Check out our books and curriculum at Shop Online.

Camera Icon
© 2014 • 831.462.5655 • 877.357.5655 • info@meritworld.com
 Blogger Icon Newsletter Icon
 Twitter Icon LinkedIn Icon
FaceBook Icon RSS Icon
About Merit | Merit Academy | ProjectMERIT | Merit Services | Shop Online | Contact Us | Home | My Online Activities